Sunday 2 November 2014

What is Sportsmanship?


When Western Oregons Sara Tucholsky hit a three-run shot over the fence against Central Washington on April 26, 2008, her round-tripper gave the Wolves a lead and it also went into the books as the first career home run for the senior outfielder.


But after injuring her knee rounding first, she needed help to make the complete circuit around the bases. In stepped CWUs Mallory Holtman and Liz Wallace, who carried the hobbled Tucholsky around the diamond in an amazing gesture of sportsmanship.




  1. You have ten minutes to look at this website http://kidshealth.org/teen/homework/sports/sportsmanship.html and work with a partner to develop a definition of sportsmanship.
  2. Why should we demonstrate good sportsmanship in PE, on the sporting field and in everyday life?
Sportsmanship Checklist
1. I abide by the rules of the game
2. I try to avoid arguments
3. I share in the responsibilities of the team
4. I give everyone a chance to play according to the rules
5. I always play fair
6. I follow the directions of the teacher or coach
7. I respect the other team's efforts
8. I offer encouragement to my teammates
9. I accept the judgement calls of the game officials
10. I end the game smoothly.


YOUR TASKS



TASK ONE

Using Pages, create a sportsmanship poster that has the following things on it:
    • A picture (or pictures) that represents good sportsmanship
    • A slogan that states something about good sportsmanship
    • 3-5 ways that people should demonstrate good sportsmanship
    • Post the poster on your blog










TASK TWO

Create a blog post titled "Sportsmanship - on the sporting field and in everyday life" and write a paragraph or bullet points with the following information:

  • A description of what sportsmanship is and one example of how you have demonstrated sportsmanship this year
  • 3 ways that you can demonstrate sportsmanship in PE or on the sporting field
  • 2 ways that you can demonstrate sportsmanship in everyday life
  • 1 new way that you can demonstrate sportsmanship
  • Label it 'pe"

No comments:

Post a Comment